Wednesday 21 March 2012

Would you like to Supersize that?

Not the actual burger!

I went on a J1 two years ago....I would give my left arm to go back there now but what struck me over there was the portion sizes. Everything was bigger, I was waitressing over there and the portion sizes was absolutely ridiculous! In the restaurant where I worked they even had a super sized burger called the Ballbuster, whoever finished the burger got a free t-shirt and their picture taken with the staff! It was hilarious to watch but scary at the same time because the amount of people able to finish this burger was disgusting and they would have a dessert afterwards!!!
These type of competitions only encourage obesity and the prize at the restaurant wasn't even that good but customers were determined to finish the burger!
Then we have McDonalds where in America everything is a bigger portion than at home anyway but then having the option to supersize your meal is so funny! We used Supersize the meal and share it was a great money saver for us students!! Did anyone ever watch that programme Supersize me? I only saw it recently, the effect it has on your body is so scary!!!

11 comments:

  1. Its no wonder half the country is obese, but i found when i was over there the food was addictive and you couldnt help it but eat it. It was so hard to find anything slightly healthy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the same!! Everything was addictive!!!

      Delete
  2. One word for Supersize Me, disgusting.
    I found the same on J1.. But when the nearest place selling fruit+veg is a 100 block bus journey, in 40° heat, you end up giving into the fatty food v.fast !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know and subway down the road so hard to resist!!

      Delete
  3. Totally agree, don't know why fruit and veg was so hard to get!! It's insane! While I was there I found the exact same, portions were huge and as Laura said they were totally addictive!! Don't even want to think of what we ate, yuck!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know imagine the amount of salt we ate even an apple was full of salt!!

      Delete
  4. The portions in America were outrageous- you could easily feed 2 people with one meal!

    I'll never forget when I went to the cheesecake factory one night for dinner in the States and we had to cancel some of the main courses because the starters were so big! Then we didn't even have room for cheesecake :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was the same! Was so excited for cheese cake then couldn't get it:(

      Delete
  5. Totally agree - portions are so ridiculous in America!! When I lived there I'd be determined to finish as much of it as I could though since I'd paid for it...not a good idea at all!!haha...Supersize me is insane, haven't eaten a meal at McDonalds since!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Imagine if they had supersize me in Ireland!!!

      Delete
  6. i lived there for a bit aswell and when i first got there it was mad but the problem with being there for so long is that i got soooo used to it!ugh thinking about it ewwww

    ReplyDelete